Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

+23
Girbot
BlazingHeart
The Skooglie
SoNanoka?
Tsuki
SirSuiji
Ragingblast12
LittleMatryoshkaDoll
Kuru-kuru
Mr.Ace
Mokou
Kero-chan
Derpy
TheMadOne
LadyAtsuko
cyclonecasey
Legotransform
MrSage
Agrapeinthesun
LordTomyh
killer8529
ivorymaid
Drag
27 posters

:: Misc :: General

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread - Page 27 Empty Re: Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

Post  Chavvy Mon May 16, 2016 5:24 am

No need for anything exact, no doubt i'd modify to suit my tastes anyway Mooblips
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread - Page 27 Empty Re: Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

Post  Conor Mon May 16, 2016 8:41 am

Man crisps/chips are great. potatos are so versatile
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

you can boil em, you can fry em, you can put em in a stew, mash potatooooooo!
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue May 17, 2016 5:45 am

Mashed and fried are undoubtedly my favorites. (Not fries, fried potatoes).
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 am

Tbf, Im not a massive fan of mash (its a texture thing, just feels funny in my mouth).
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue May 17, 2016 5:56 am

I enjoy the texture hahah

What IS your favorite then?
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Tue May 17, 2016 6:11 am

I'll have to go with wedges, love me some wedges Mooblips
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Girbot Tue May 17, 2016 6:32 am

wedges are the absolute best form of potato, especially with spicy seasonings
Girbot
Girbot
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am

Potatoes, the worlds most versatile vegetable
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue May 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Essentially, you fry up some fries (or buy the shitty bag kind and bake them if you're too lazy to cut some) season them up with pepper, salt, chili powder (and/or paprika). Then you toss them in some hotsauce (it works really well if you bread the fries and fry them because the hotsauce gets down in that sh*t.) Then pile some cheese on there, whatever kind you like, just put a fuckton of it. You can also put nacho cheese sauce on it and that's delicious as well (in conjunction with regular cheese or instead of it, your choice.) Then you slap some tasty pulled pork on toppa that sh*t. You can get it wherever you want, I usually get a bigass helping when I go out to this bbq place up the road and put the leftovers on my fries the next day. You can also use chicken.

Then you can put some bbq sauce on it (I use the spicy variety), if you so choose, and some jalapenos. There's also some spicy seasonings you can put on it but I can't recall the name of the brand I use.(It's just a shaker with spicy herbs and seasonings all jumbled up in it, you know the kind, I'm sure).

That's how I make mine.

(Also, depending on the fries/cheese/how fast you make it, you may have to bake it for a couple minutes to melt the cheese thoroughly.)
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Tue May 17, 2016 4:18 pm

@Damxge Look what I figured out XD
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Thu May 19, 2016 12:38 am

So you did. Well done.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  LordTomyh Thu May 19, 2016 1:45 am

Just quickly while the topic is still somewhat on potatoes.

Potato cakes. A single whole sheet of potato, like a slice, dipped in batter and deep-fried. Like a Hashbrown, except the potato is a single piece rather than diced up
LordTomyh
LordTomyh
Rook
Rook

http://dragonhuntertomyh.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Girbot Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 am

it told me it was your birthday on skype nate so happy bday!
Girbot
Girbot
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 am

I literally just got done arguing book mechanics on facebook. What the f***. I need to sleep.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Mon May 23, 2016 7:50 am

Tell me about it, I didn't sleep at all last night. Think we all need sleep XD
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 am

Dylan shared this image on the facebookz.
Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread - Page 27 13245325_1090100327729944_1805743907422765175_n

and the conversation went as such:

Mike wrote:They couldn't just enchant it afterwards with all their handy dandy charms they have laying about? Rowling showed in the books that you can enchant objects that already exist, there's no need to "imbue" such petty charms into the stuff when making it.
Seems like a really far reach.

Dylan wrote:True. True but imbuing the spells and charms into something while your making it would make the spell work stronger and last longer I think

Mike wrote:I just figure Rowling did something I like to call "exclusion for convenience" leaving everything just vague enough that she can come back to it later and tweak it to benefit/hinder whatever her heroes/villains are doing. Because she never really spoke of enchantments or spells weakening over time, forging of magical artifacts (Besides the sword of Gryffindor I think?) Or really how magic works at all. That's one aspect I most loved about the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, he explained everything in a manner that fully fleshed the world he created, and that was a complete fabrication of a brand new world, not even ripping real world locations for chunks of his books, and he still managed to explain his magic and dragons.
By no means am I bashing Rowling or HP, I love the books and the movies, it's just that glaring open ended mechanics irritate me.

I feel stupid, tired, and annoyed all at the same time. It's weird.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Mon May 23, 2016 1:29 pm

I totally get where you're coming from Mike, I think she left everything vague too, though I think it works better to leave it like that, it leaves room for people to use their own imagination on what is possible in the HP universe, instead of having to explain absolutely everything, and thus imposing limitations on a world's that's supposed to be full of wonder and sh*t.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Mon May 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Very true, I just feel she did it in a manner that is less than graceful.

Plus I hate almost all fanfiction/fan "theories"/fanwhatevers. Especially those from Tumblr hahahah

And that's coming from a guy with a successful five year running Naruto fan-rpg. I'm just a hypocrite I suppose.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Mon May 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Nah man, the Harry Potter fan bae is especially cringe-inducing, though there's a lot more. Like you said, they congregate on Tumblr. Man, I f***ing hate that part of the Internet, it's like Reddit the yhe emotionally unstable.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Lol, if you don't like vague than you'd hate my Dystopian story (if I ever finish it). My intention if for the setting to be indeterminable (future earth, foreign planet, w/e) and the monsters to be the same (could be mytho, could be alien, who knows?)
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 pm

That sounds like a lot of modern post apocalypse stories. I think people easily mix up lack of detail with mystery.
For instance, The Road is a great movie of the genre, part of that bring because of the open ending, setting and nameless characters. It's also well filmed and produced, which helps.
However, stuff like the missing segments in Harry Potter and stuff isn't left to the imagination cause there isn't enough explanation to explain the lack of content. The Road got away with having an unclear cause of the apocalypse because it wasn't important, as it was the story of the bond between parent and child in extreme circumstances.
Harry Potter, a book/film about a magic school, doesn't even explain to you how the wizarding world has managed to make sure every single on of their students doesn't use or talk of magic in their Summer holidays, when a lot of them go back to muggle homes in the normal world. Are you telling me that an entire school year of 11 year olds isn't going to brag about all their sweet magic powers when they get back home?

TL;DR: Harry Potter doesn't make sense and Harry is actually a delusional abused kid still living under the stairs. The muggle world would more than likely have found out about the wizarding world by now. Which leads me onto my next question: why isn't this the premise for the next HP film?
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue May 24, 2016 3:59 am

I guess it falls to what the story is, how graceful the writer is, and who the targeted audience is.

With HP, you've got an extremely complex world full of questions taking place IN A SCHOOL. And you hardly learn anything about the wizarding world, the origins/creation of magic, the controlling of magic, the limitations of magic/rules regarding it, etc etc etc etc the list goes on, and Rowling barely touches on any of it so she can focus on her characters' story. So the story almost demands backstory to all of it's mechanics, for someone like me who likes to understand the world they're diving into. She doesn't even have to devote full chapters to the subjects, having someone like Granger drop facts once in a while would have done wonders. Just one "That's not how magic works" when someone suggests something stupid would kill huge portions of annoying internet fan-theories, especially if done gracefully. That's just the story, a story that should have a TON of lore behind it. At the very least, Rowling could have released a book after her last after the name of one of the textbooks she casually referenced through the books like the history of magic sh*t and then explained soooo much lore. I probably would have read the sh*t out of that, especially if it were a story, such as one following a researcher in the Ministry developing/studying advanced magic.

Then you've got the grace of the writer. There's no doubt Rowling is graceful in her storytelling, but her informative skills need hella work. You should be able to flesh out a whole world and still leave little mysteries while telling your story, you don't have to sidetrack or devote chapters to explanations. Plenty of other, significantly less successful, authors do it in a fantastic manner. Hell, she could have gone wild with explanations about the magical world while writing about Dumbledore's Army.

Then of course, there's the targeted audience. It's obvious that it was targeted to young adults/teens/kids right off the bat with it following the development of kids who for some reason, yet again, are the only people capable of stopping the threat (A cheesy and obnoxious cliche by now, but she does it well). You HAVE to figure that the teen/young adult portion of your audience is going to have questions, as is obvious with Tumblr making stupid sh*t up to explain things and all the fan-theories. People want to know about this world you developed. If it were targeted only to children, then leave it go, kids love letting their imaginations go, but older people will question/try to fill it in, and I feel like she should have known her audience and what they would need before she started writing.
That's just my view on it anyway.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 am

I feel like I kinda released the kraken here... did I release the kraken?
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 am

I love me some fried calamari.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next