Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

+23
Girbot
BlazingHeart
The Skooglie
SoNanoka?
Tsuki
SirSuiji
Ragingblast12
LittleMatryoshkaDoll
Kuru-kuru
Mr.Ace
Mokou
Kero-chan
Derpy
TheMadOne
LadyAtsuko
cyclonecasey
Legotransform
MrSage
Agrapeinthesun
LordTomyh
killer8529
ivorymaid
Drag
27 posters

:: Misc :: General

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 9:29 am

Wait, what EXACTLY is night terrors? I just thought they were just worse versions of nightmares. I've jumped out of bed a few time and woke up screaming twice.
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: Official ExtremeRPG Chat Thread

Post  Conor Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 am

Literally the opposite I think, isn't it sleep paralysis?
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 11:21 am

There are different forms, mine is where you wake from a  hyper-realistic (meaning it's impossible to tell you're dreaming) nightmare. Upon waking, the nightmare is still going on around you. So if you dream you're covered in spiders that are biting you, you'll wake up still covered in spiders biting you. The hallucination can last for a few seconds up to ten minutes. I think the longest night terror I've experienced lasted about fifteen minutes where I thought the house was on fire. It's difficult to explain because you're awake, but the nightmare is still present.

I can move during mine (blessing and a curse), while a guy I used to know was completely paralyzed during the whole thing. There are also ones where the person is unable to wake up and are pretty well trapped in a horrific dream.

Essentially, it makes you scared to go back to sleep for fear of it happening again. It's really quite traumatic. That's where chav and conor helped me. After a night terror I would jump into Skype with them as a distraction and a way to stay fully awake while I recovered. It's absolutely terrifying to try to stay awake and then accidentally slip back into the same nightmare.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 11:51 am

Are they still night terrors if they're in common? Mine are very infrequent but I've never known what to call them.
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Here's an official definition of it:

Night terror, also known as sleep terror, is a sleep disorder, causing feelings of terror or dread, and typically occurs during the first hours of stage 3-4 non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep. Night terrors tend to happen during periods of arousal from delta sleep, also known as slow-wave sleep.

It's when you wake during these that they usually manifest themselves into nightmares and hallucinations. At least, that's the the psych told me.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Interesting... Mine are always spider or bug related
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 pm

My legitimate night terrors have ranged through bugs, snakes, bears, wolves, sharks, all kinds of animals, drowning/burning, extreme loss such as watching a family member die, being attacked, people watching me, and all that kind of terrifying stuff.

But it doesn't always have to be "scary" in the usual sense. Waking up convinced I'm late for work is a relatively common one. I have to force myself to check the time no matter what when I wake up. Even if it's dark out, because in the dream it's day, so I see day. The frequency of the "late" nightmares increases with stress, when I have important appointments, changes in my work schedule, and stuff like that.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Is there no treatment?
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSage Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Damxge wrote:Waking up convinced I'm late for work is a relatively common one. I have to force myself to check the time no matter what when I wake up. Even if it's dark out, because in the dream it's day, so I see day. The frequency of the "late" nightmares increases with stress, when I have important appointments, changes in my work schedule, and stuff like that.

I get these kinds of dreams sometimes during busy parts of the school year, and I hate them so much. I had quite a few of them last semester, and I had one or two during recent midterms. Bleh.
I have to stare at a clock and think hard about the day before I realize whether I was dreaming or not. I just feel really confused and disoriented.
MrSage
MrSage
Rocketman
Rocketman

http://mr-sage.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I think everyone's had that. Back when I worked and Hungry Jacks I wouldn't so much as 'wake up' instead I'd flail out of bed, half asleep, thinking 'f*** f*** f***, I'm late, I'm so late' when I wasn't
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 3:33 pm

That's essentially it, though more extreme for the most part. Like my brain literally changes the time I see. My poor girlfriend has had to talk me back into bed when I've gotten up, looked at the time, and started getting dressed despite it being both dark out and two in the morning when I don't have to be up until noon. My brain just shows me what it thinks is going on, so daylight outside the window and 11:30 on the clock. It's kinda hard to describe since it goes slightly beyond just being confused of the time/day.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 3:43 pm

Sounds kinda like sleep walking when you put it like that
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 3:46 pm

It's similar, but unlike sleepwalking, you remember the whole thing. (Which can make you feel really stupid once you come back to your senses hahah)
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 3:59 pm

True, good point
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 5:45 pm

That being said, I sleepwalk as well.

The more I talk the more it seems like I'm a fuckin trainwreck hahahah
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Tbf dude, I don't think theres anyone here that doesn't have some sort of issue. welcome back to crazy club Mooblips
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I only know of one time I've sleep walked. I wond up jumping on my mums bed xD I have been known to talk in my sleep though
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 6:20 pm

I sleepwalk pretty frequently. Mostly just getting up, wandering around for a minute, and then going back to bed.

Sometimes, though, I've gone and made food, changed clothes, run into walls, rearranged some stuff in my room, wandered into the house and moved stuff around, and stubbed my toes on everything.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:22 pm

I haven't sleepwalked since I was about 12ish? Though apparently I move around in bed alot according to Tara, I talk in my sleep too.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Dinda has threatened to record my sleep ramblings. Thankfully she never has, I imagine I say some really off the wall sh*t. Like one time she said I was talking about punching squirrels or something.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh wait, maybe I just don't realise I'm sleepwalking? :O
The other night I woke up upside down, and ages ago I woke up with me work shirt on!
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 pm

I told Tara that "We cant give cake to the goats, they'll be hyper and chew the curtains" in my sleep last time :/
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm

I love sleep talkers! They so funny xD
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:31 pm

I apparently do the whiny puppy noise too a bit :/
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 6:33 pm

Nawwww, that's cute Mooblips
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next