Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Competitions?

4 posters

:: Misc :: General

Go down

Competitions? Empty Competitions?

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Ey boiz. Know what we need? Competitions. More specifically, writing competitions. Even more specifically, regular competitions on the forums (excluding warriors) that members of all skill ranges can take part in. From tournament style competitions where people write several stories of different subject matter and advance in tiers to the final write-off, to general "Write a story and people will vote on it!" type competitions.

Would others be interested in such things or no? I for one feel that a sense of competition fosters growth, both in the community and in the writers' skill.

The biggest issue is that if everyone goes into a comp, there's no one left to vote, particularly when it comes to rewarded competitions like the one I'm looking to host to kick things off. So should be start trying to form up some comps, or wait and pray more members join?
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Competitions? Empty Re: Competitions?

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 2:37 pm

I think people who enter the competitions should be allowed to vote, just not for themselves.
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 pm

That would be fair.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonecasey Wed May 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Easier than having to find people to vote
cyclonecasey
cyclonecasey
Insane Person
Insane Person

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 5:47 pm

Personally, I'd wait until theres a couple more folk here, unless you're planing to promote this site with said competition to attract more people Mooblips
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm

It had crossed my mind. I was planning on doing a simple writing comp with a $25.00 amazon or steam card as the prize. Possibly turning it into a monthly thing that people can look forward to and aspire to win. Plus money draws people in.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Sounds like a plan, and I'll be more than happy to help out with prizes once I know where I am financially Mooblips

Leave it until the end of the month until we start anything like this, so we know we have a pool of people to rely on first?
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Aye, sounds like a good course of action. Until then, I think I might host a story contest. Not for prizes or anything, but to get the competitive juices flowing.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Sounds like you already have things planned out ;D
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 6:01 pm

I've learned a lot from our past forum endeavors and I intend on making this attempt one for the record books. I'd like to try some stuff that we never really did before, or did and then slowly gave up on. Such as weekly and monthly comps, featured users and posts, user awards and the like, and other stuff to really get the people here involved. Because just hosting a forum and expecting others to fill it in is just asking for failure, because people will get bored.
I was heartbroken that AP had to end the way it did, but life had become too much to handle along with the forum so I couldn't try all of the stuff I wanted to. I don't plan on making the same mistakes.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm

I dont blame yah, I think AP's downfall was just bad timing for most people, none of us had the time to commit to anything, I know for the last six months that was up work was crazy for me (though still not earning that much tbf).

Hopefully, This time round we'll get it right. Third times the charm, right?
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Aye! Third time'll be the one.

I've got a few other ideas to get people more hyped about goings on here on the forum. One that I'd like to give a shot would be a youtube channel dedicated to the forum. Basically it'd be a way to announce big competitions, keep people up to date with interesting goings on, such as spreading promising new RPs, featuring members' stories and other stuff as well as featuring particularly influential or important members. Could also host podcasts for discussions of possible new RPs, discussions of boards and members, etc. And of course, just fun type stuffs.

Whether or not it would actually do anything for the forum, I don't know. But it could be worth a try.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd happily get involved in any of these, just give me a shout if you need a hand Mooblips
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Wed May 11, 2016 6:21 pm

Awesome, thanks Chavster.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chavvy Wed May 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Np, Cap'n.
Chavvy
Chavvy
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Back to top Go down

Post  Conor Thu May 12, 2016 10:34 am

Competitions is an awesome idea, 'cause it also encourages regular practice.
I'm thinking of ways I can contribute to prizes and such. Maybe for some I could offer caricatures or drawings of the winner's fave character doing something? I then get practice, everybody wins.

On that thought, I could also do promotional art if you wanted actual characters drawing on anything.
Conor
Conor
Infected
Infected

Back to top Go down

Post  Damxge Thu May 12, 2016 10:54 am

Your skills would be greatly appreciated, I can imagine a reward like that would make a lot of people work harder.

And I'm sure promotional art could go a long way in the near future. Just gotta wait a bit to see how things shape up.
Damxge
Damxge
Rook
Rook

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Misc :: General

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum